OpenNews is a nonprofit organization that receives funding from community members who donate, foundations, and sponsors in order to support our entire slate of events and programs.
Support our work
Our work exists to support the community that is pushing to create more inclusive, equitable, and purpose-driven journalism. It’s important for the longterm future of OpenNews that we create ways for community members to contribute to the sustainability of our work. Consider joining us as a founding sustainer, contributing monthly to make possible all of OpenNews’ programs.
How do I donate?
Is OpenNews a nonprofit?
Yes, OpenNews operates as a project of Community Partners, our fiscal sponsor. Community Partners is a nonprofit public charity exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, your donation is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law, as long as no goods or services were exchanged. You will receive an email receipt of your donation for your records. Gifts $250 and over will also receive an acknowledgement in the mail.
What is OpenNews’ Employer Identification Number?
The EIN or Federal Tax ID number for Community Partners (our fiscal sponsor) is 95-4302067.
Can you accept recurring donations?
We can! Joining OpenNews as a sustainer helps strengthen this community, developing capacity in our individual work and building energy for collective action.
What will my donation help support?
Your donation will support our work strengthening the network of peers working to make journalism better. It will support our events for newsroom coders and journalists and a wide range of community and project support programs.
Is there anything else I can do to help?
Why yes, thank you for asking!
- You can spread the word and ask your colleagues to support this network by making a donation to OpenNews. Like all of our work, word of mouth drives so much of how people find out about what we do. Any help getting the word out helps this work continue.
- Does your employer have a matching gifts program? Many employers will match their employee’s donations to nonprofit organizations, which can double (and sometimes even triple) the size of your gift! Here’s a list from Mother Jones of some organizations known to have these programs. If you need any information to complete paperwork for a match with your company, just let us know.
- Share your story about how this network has helped you and your career! Some folks have tweeted about their experiences with OpenNews or blogged about attending SRCCON. You can also reach out to us directly and let us know about your exprience. We love hearing what resonates with you, and it helps us tell other organizations and potential donors about the importance of this network.
Sponsors of SRCCON
SRCCON events bring together developers, designers, journalists, editors, and allies: the practitioners and leaders who are transforming their newsrooms into more representative and innovative places to work. From the very first SRCCON in 2014, the generosity of sponsors has helped underwrite the cost of things like travel scholarships, transcription, and even super tasty coffee.
- SRCCON:❤️ Sponsors: Craig Newmark Philanthropies
- 2020 SRCCON Sponsors: Craig Newmark Philanthropies, The New York Times, Alley, Democracy Fund, Knight Foundation, JSK Fellowship
- SRCCON:PRODUCT Sponsors: Google News Initiative, University of Missouri School of Journalism, Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, Temple University Klein College of Media and Communication, News Catalyst, Knight Foundation, Reynolds Journalism Institute, Alley
- SRCCON:LEAD Sponsors: WordPressVIP, Facebook Journalism Project, Craig Newmark Philanthropies, The Lenfest Institute, The Gannett Foundation, Vox Media, Democracy Fund, JSK Fellowship, Independence Media Foundation
- 2019 SRCCON Sponsors: The New York Times, WordPress.com VIP, Facebook Journalism Project, Google News Initiative, Craig Newmark Philanthropies, The Lenfest Institute for Journalism, Knight Foundation, Vox Media, Alley, JSK Fellowship, Democracy Fund, News Integrity Initiative, Minnesota Journalism Center, StarTribune, The Accountability Project
- SRCCON:POWER Sponsors: Democracy Fund, News Integrity Initiative, Vox Media, JSK Fellowship
- 2018 SRCCON Sponsors: WordPress.com VIP, Facebook, The New York Times, Google News Initiative, Vox Media, The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships, Alley Interactive
- SRCCON:WORK Sponsors: Google News Lab, The News Integrity Initiative at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, Democracy Fund, The New York Times, Mozilla, Microsoft, Azavea, Group Nine
- 2017 SRCCON Sponsors: Condé Nast, WordPress.com VIP, The New York Times, Facebook, The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships, Google News Lab, Alley Interactive, Mapbox, Vox Media, StarTribe, MPR News, BuzzFeed News
- 2016 SRCCON Sponsors: Conde Nast, Mail Chimp, WordPress, New York Times, John S. Knight Fellowships, Dow Jones News Fund, Vox Media, Civil Co, Alley Interactive
- 2015 SRCCON Sponsors: Mandrill, WordPress.com VIP, Slack, NPR, Twitter, Fusion, StarTribune, University of Minnesota Journalism Center, John S. Knight Fellowships, Alley Interactive, Thomson Foundation, University of Minnesota School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- 2014 SRCCON Sponsors: Mandrill, WordPress, FiveThirtyEight, Mapzen, Vox Media, Rackspace, Sourcefabric, Sittercity.com
The latest from the OpenNews team
Read all our news in our OpenNews blog